Statement, Question or Command?
Statement, question or command are types of sentences. Sentences can be used to express statements (affirmative and negative expressions), commands and questions. For example:
- 'It's hot' (affirmative statement)
- 'It's not hot' (negative statement)
- 'Sit down, please' (command)
- Don't talk back! (command)
- 'Do you like English?' (question)
You should recognise a question if it's written as it will have a question mark at the end. Can you recognise a spoken question? Written commands sometimes have an exclamation mark at the end - but not always as in our examples above.
Test your skills in this 11-plus quiz and see if you can beat your classmates!
You can play all the teacher-written quizzes on our site for just £9.95 per month. Click the button to sign up or read more.