Words beginning with ae...
"Are we allowed to do that?" she said aloud. How good is your spelling of words beginning at ae?
The school doctor asked "Have you ever had trouble with appendicitis?" Fred replied "Only when I've tried to spell it". BA DUM TSS!
Do you ever wonder about the number of "silent" letters in English? Or why words are not pronounced as you might think they ought to be? Explanations for the difficulties people face when trying to spell English words usually come down to one of two reasons: either the word has been part of the English language for a very long time and its pronunciation has changed over the centuries, or the word is borrowed from another language. The suffix, -itis, is a Latin form of a Greek suffix. Its use in English is usually in medical terminology used to describe disease, for instance "appendicitis", "vasculitis" or "arthritis".
Improve your spelling with this quiz.
You can play every teacher-written quiz on our site for just £9.95 per month. Click the button to sign up or read more.
The Tutor in Your Computer!
Quiz yourself clever - try up to five free quizzes NOW
- Immediate access to our enormous library of thousands of quizzes
- Select the five quizzes most relevant to your studies
- All questions on curriculum and written by experienced teachers
- Replay any of your free quizzes to show your parents at any time
- No subscription commitment for free quiz players