An extract from beetroot is used as a food colourant in tomato paste and jams. What is the name of the extract?
Photograph courtesy of Evan-Amos
- Latin Name: Beta vulgaris.
- Variously known as garden beet, red beet and table beet.
- Usually the roots are boiled and eaten hot as a vegetable or cold as a salad.
- The leaves can also be eaten (if you are desperate!) and they are said to taste a little like spinach.
- Sow from April onwards and start to harvest about 3 months later when the roots have reached the size of a golf ball.